Shortbread is a real traditional favourite, but adding chocolate peppermint takes it to another level
Chocolate & peppermint shortbread
175g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
85g golden caster sugar
200g plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
400g fondant icing sugar
½ tsp Cooks’ Homebaking Peppermint Extract
2 x 100g bars Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate
Knob of butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20 x 35cm baking tin.
2. Mix the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon then stir in the flour and cocoa. Spread out in the base of the prepared tin, pressing with the back of the spoon to form an even layer. Bake for 15–20 minutes until just set then leave to cool.
3. Beat together the icing sugar, 4 tbsp boiling water and peppermint extract until smooth. Spread evenly over the base then chill until firm.
4. Meanwhile, break the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and add the butter. Heat gently over a pan of simmering water until melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate over the filling and swirl the tin to coat. Chill for 30 minutes or until set. Cut into 20 slices to serve.
Cook’s tipKeep any leftover pieces covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes + cooling time
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes + cooling time
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 43 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Sep 29 10:29:00 BST 2016.