You can make the meringues well in advance – they will keep for about a week in an airtight tin.
Chocolate and Chestnut Meringues
30g caster sugar
1 egg white
30g light muscovado sugar
30g dark chocolate
6 frozen chestnuts, thawed and chopped
1 tbsp Clement Faugier Chestnut Spread
2 tbs Extra Thick Double Cream or whipped double cream
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 100°C, gas mark ½. Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Whisk the egg white until stiff and standing in peaks. Mix together the sugars, then add to the egg white a little at a time, continuing to whisk, until the mixture becomes a thick, glossy meringue.
- Spoon 4 swirly mounds onto the baking tray and bake for 2 hours until they are crisp. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over gently simmering water. Leave to cool to room temperature, but don’t let it set. Beat together the chocolate, chopped chestnuts and chestnut purée then stir in the cream.
- Sandwich the meringue shells together with the chocolate and chestnut cream, and dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Make speedy petits fours by using the filling to sandwich Waitrose Mini Meringue Shells.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 minutes
- Total time: 22 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 8 ratings
This recipe was first published in November 2009.