"Top these delicious cakes with crushed amaretti biscuits or coffee glacè icing - I like to do half and half." Dan Lepard
Chocolate macaroon cakes
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
175g double cream
4 tbsp cocoa
225g dark brown muscovado sugar
75g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into small pieces
75g unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
50g ground almonds
2 tsp vanilla extract
175g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
12 amaretti biscuits, roughly crumbled
1 x icing sugar, to dust
3 tsp instant coffee granules
200g icing sugar
1 tsp glucose
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C, gas mark 2. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cases. In a saucepan, bring the cream, cocoa and sugar to the boil, stirring; cook for 1 minute. Put the chocolate and butter into a large bowl and pour over the hot cream; stir until smooth. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
2. Add the almonds, eggs and vanilla to the chocolate mixture; beat until smooth. Combine the flour and baking powder and stir through the batter; spoon into the cases.
3. For the amaretti topping, sprinkle the biscuits over the cakes. Bake for 30 minutes, remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar.
4. For the coffee icing, bake the cakes plain for 30 minutes, remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack. Dissolve the coffee in 2 tbsp freshly boiled water, then beat in the icing sugar and glucose. Swirl over the top of the cakes.