Delicious sweet Christmas treats which are fun to decorate and lovely to give as gifts.
Christmas elf cupcakes recipe | Waitrose
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- Cooking time: 25 mins plus cooling
- Total time: 1h 25 mins plus cooling
225g unsalted butter, softened
150g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
175 g self-raising flour
100g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
50g milk chocolate, chopped
Smarties, to decorate
Red, green and black icing from 500g pack of ready-to-roll coloured icing
Small piece white ready-to-roll icing
- Preheat oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Line a 12-section muffin tray with muffin cases. Put 150g of the butter, the sugar, vanilla, eggs and flour in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Divide into the cake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and just firm to touch. Cool.
- Beat the remaining butter with icing sugar to make a buttercream. Melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a pan of hot water.
- Spread the buttercream over the cakes. For each hat, take a small piece of red icing and roll into a log with a point at one end. Flatten using icing sugar-dusted fingers, and position on each cake. Place a Smartie, slightly off centre, for noses. Use red icing to shape curved red mouths and press in position.
- Roll little balls of green icing and place at the ends of the hats, then roll out small triangles for the beards.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into one corner of a small, new plastic food bag and snip off the merest tip so the chocolate can be piped in a thin line. Use to pipe the hair. Roll ovals of white and black icing into eyes. Leave in a cool place to harden.