This is a delicious, lighter alternative to traditional Christmas pudding, prepared in just 20 minutes.
Christmas pudding with tropical fruit & rum recipe | Waitrose
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 120 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- 100g Atora Light Shredded Vegetable Suet
- 50g self-raising flour
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 200g light brown muscovado sugar
- 100g pecans, roughly chopped
- 150g pack Waitrose Soft Tropical Fruit Medley, roughly chopped
- 1 apple, coarsely grated
- 150ml Waitrose Finest West Indian Rum
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Place the suet, flour, breadcrumbs, spice, sugar, pecans, tropical fruit and grated apple in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, then add the rum and eggs, and mix well. Spoon into a buttered 1-litre pudding basin. Top with a circle of buttered greaseproof paper, then cover with a sheet of pleated foil, scrunching it firmly round the rim of the basin. Tie around the top of the basin with kitchen string.
- Place the basin in a steamer or sit it on an upturned, heatproof saucer in a large pan. Fill the pan three-quarters of the way up with boiling water, then cover and steam for 1½-2 hours, topping up occasionally with boiling water, if necessary.
- Remove from the steamer or pan and leave the pudding to cool for about 15 minutes before turning out and serving with Waitrose Vanilla and Fine Cognac Brandy Sauce or fresh cream.