You can use our Waitrose star cookie cutters – or any other shaped festive cutters – for these pastries.
Christmas sweet star puffs
2 pieces stem ginger, from a jar
25 g unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1 medium egg, separated
500g pack Cooks' Ingredients Frozen All-Butter Puff Pastry, thawed
50g La Perruche sugar cubes, crushed, or chopped nuts
A little flour, for dusting
- Finely grate the stem ginger pieces into a bowl. Add the butter, spice and egg yolk then beat to a smooth paste.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 35cm square, then cut in half. Spread one half with the spice butter to within 1cm of its edges, then cover with the second half, pressing down firmly around the edges. Chill for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6
- Grease 2 baking sheets. Re-roll the pastry until slightly thinner and roughly 35cm square. Use cookie cutters, dipped in a little flour, to cut out shapes. Space the shapes slightly apart on the baking sheets. Beat the egg white, then use to brush over the stars.
- Scatter with the crushed sugar or chopped nuts and bake for about 15 minutes until risen and pale golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before wrapping.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes + 30 mins chilling
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 5 ratings
This recipe was first published in November 2009.