Save to your scrapbook
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
150g Waitrose LOVE Life berry mix
1 lemon, zest
1 large orange, zest and juice
2 tbsp brandy
1 ½ tsp ground mixed spice
2 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
4 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
75g fresh white breadcrumbs
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp demerara sugar
100g unsalted butter, melted
8 sheets Feuilles de filo pastry
65g pecans, roughly chopped
100g marzipan, diced
1. Put the berry mix, lemon zest, orange zest and juice, brandy, mixed spice and dark brown soft sugar into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, then take off the heat. Stir in the apples and set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Mix the breadcrumbs with the cinnamon, half the demerara sugar and 2 tbsp melted butter, then tip onto a large baking tray. Bake for 6-8 minutes until crisp.
3. Lay 2 sheets of pastry on a clean, damp tea towel. Brush with melted butter, then scatter with a quarter of the breadcrumb mixture. Cover with 2 more sheets of pastry and brush again with butter and scatter with breadcrumbs. Repeat until all the filo and crumbs are used up.
4. Leaving a 3cm border around the edge, spread the apple mixture over the pastry and scatter with the pecans and marzipan. Fold the two short ends over to stop the filling spilling out. Then, using the tea towel, lift up one of the longer edges to start rolling up the strudel, as you would a swiss roll. Keep the roll tight and the edges tucked in.
5. Transfer to a baking sheet, brush all over with butter then scatter with the remaining demerara sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden. Serve warm or at room temperature with Waitrose Seriously Creamy Prune & Armagnac Ice Cream, if liked.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Tue Dec 06 14:05:00 GMT 2011.