This sugar-free dessert relies on the natural sweetness of the squash and apple. Make it dairy-free if you prefer by using coconut oil and coconut milk yogurt- Melissa and Jasmine Hemsley
Cinnamon, squash and apple mousse with yogurt and spiced walnuts
360g butternut squash, peeled deseeded and cut into 2.5cm chunks
200g eating apples, peeled cored and chopped into 2.5cm chunks
3 tbsp coconut oil or unsalted butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
300-400ml coconut water
375g natural coconut milk yogurt or full-fat natural probiotic yogurt
1 tbsp coconut oil or unsalted butter
pinch ground cinnamon
25 walnut halves, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven 200C, gas mark 6. Put the squash and apple on a foil-lined baking tray and dot with the coconut oil or butter. Roast for 30 minutes, turning halfway through, until tender and caramelised at the edges.
2. Meanwhile, make the walnut topping. Melt the coconut oil or butter with a pinch of sea salt and cinnamon in a frying pan. Add the chopped walnuts, stirring to coat, and toast gently for 6-8 minutes, until golden and crunchy.
3. Blitz the squash and apple in a blender with the cinnamon and 200ml coconut water until smooth. Keep blending in a little more coconut water until you have a thick, smooth mousse (you may not need to use all the coconut water). Chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to firm up.
4. To assemble, spoon 2 tbsp mousse into the base of a glass, top with a dollop of yogurt and repeat. Sprinkle over the walnuts and drizzle with honey, if liked.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Serves: 6 - 8
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 1 rating