1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, roughly chopped
1 x 6 pack essential Waitrose British Chicken Thigh Fillets, cubed
2 sprigs rosemary
2 tbsp plain flour
100ml white wine
300ml chicken stock
1 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Dried Porcini Mushrooms
250g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
2 tbsp crème fraîche
320g pack Jus-Rol Shortcrust Pastry Sheet
2 tbsp milk
Classic chicken and mushroom pie
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion, bacon, chicken and rosemary over a high heat for 5 minutes until golden. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute more then pour in the wine and bubble vigorously for 2 minutes.
2. Add the chicken stock and both varieties of mushroom. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through with no pink meat and the sauce has thickened.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Stir in the crème fraîche then spoon the mix into a heatproof pie dish, discarding the rosemary stalks.
4. Open out the pastry sheet and lay it over the filling, tucking in the edges. Brush the top of the pie with milk and sit the dish on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and cooked through. Delicious served with mash and steamed greens.
The pie filling is ideal for freezing – spoon into a suitable container at the end of step 2 and place in the freezer. Defrost and reheat thoroughly before adding the crème fraîche and continuing from step 3.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 25-30 mintues
- Total time: 50-55 minutes
Typical values per serving:
2.8g fibre, 24.9g protein
Average user rating Based on 22 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Jan 31 10:59:00 GMT 2014.