Try this classic English dessert and afternoon tea favourite. It's easy to make and really delicious.
Classic Bakewell tart
For the pastry:
200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp icing sugar
100g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
2 large egg yolks, beaten
For the filling:
6 tbsp strawberry jam
100g unsalted butter, softened
125g caster sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp almond extract
150g ground almonds
25g flaked almonds
1 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- First, make the pastry. Sift the flour, pinch of salt and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs . Alternatively pulse in a food processor.
- Stir in just enough egg yolk to form a dough that is soft but not sticky. Push the pastry together and shape into a flat circle. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for half an hour in the fridge.
- Transfer the pastry to a lightly floured work surface. Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll the pastry out until it is 3mm thick – about the thickness of a pound coin. Pick up the pastry with the rolling pin and use to line a 23cm fluted tart tin. Trim the edges with a knife. Press well into the corners, using a ball of spare pastry to gently stretch it into place. Chill for another half an hour in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Lightly prick the pastry with a fork, then line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the baking beans and parchment and return to the oven for 5 minutes until lightly golden and dry to the touch. Allow to cool.
- To make the filling, turn the oven down to 180°C, gas mark 4. Spread jam over the pastry. Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together until pale and fluffy. Begin adding the eggs, a little at a time – they could curdle if you add them too fast. Add the almond extract and fold in the ground almonds.
- Spoon the mixture over the jam and spread out with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds. Return the tart to the baking sheet and place on the middle shelf of the oven for 30–35 minutes, or until the filling is golden on top and feels firm in the middle. If the tart seems to be browning too quickly, cover with a sheet of foil.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, then remove from the tin and dust with icing sugar. Slice into 8 portions and serve.
- Preparation time: 1 hour, plus 1 hour chilling
- Cooking time: 30 minutes to 35 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes to 2 hours 35 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 692 ratings
This recipe was first published in September 2006.