For golden-crusted roast potatoes with fluffy insides, use a floury variety, such as King Edward.
Classic Crunchy Roast Potatoes
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 1.5kg King Edward potatoes, peeled
- 3 tbsp Catusse Graisse d'Oie (goose fat), or sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Cut the potatoes into large, even-sized pieces and place in a pan of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain well and return to the pan. Shake then heat for 1-2 minutes to dry them out a little. Meanwhile, place the goose fat or sunflower oil in a roasting tin and preheat in the oven for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Carefully spoon the potatoes into the preheated tray of really hot fat – it should sizzle as they go in. Gently turn to coat and ensure that the potatoes are not too close together. (Too little room means steam can't escape – and that means soggy roasties.) Cook for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway through. Season and serve.