100g caster sugar
8 green cardamom pods, bashed
½ lemon, juice
pinch ground cinnamon
2 tbsp shredded mint leaves
Clementines in cardamom caramel
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus chilling
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes, plus chilling
1. Top and tail the fruit with a sharp knife and slice off the peel and pith; tip any juice into a bowl. Cut the flesh into slices or segments, discard any pips and put in the bowl. If you’ve segmented the fruit, add any juice from the membranes.
2. Put ⅓ of the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and melt over a medium heat until it starts to caramelise, then sprinkle in a little more sugar, swirling the pan gently to help it mix in. Continue until all the sugar is added and has melted to a deep caramel. Quickly, before it burns, throw in 50ml water and the cardamom pods. Add the lemon juice and any clementine juice from the bowl, then bubble and stir over the heat until the caramel dissolves again.
3. Remove from the heat, stir in the cinnamon and pour over the fruit; chill completely. Scatter with the mint and serve with whipped cream, if liked. LH