Bars and slices are so much easier to pack and transport than taller cakes. Cut this cake into squares, wrap the tin well and you’re good to go. These are especially good with a dollop of clotted cream, if you fancy.
Coconut and berry cake bars
BISCUIT BASE & JAM LAYER
100g unsalted butter, chilled, plus extra for greasing
175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1⁄4 tsp fine salt
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 tbsp golden caster sugar
1 egg yolk (reserve the white for the cake)
1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp raspberry jam
175g unsalted butter
150g natural yogurt
3 eggs, plus the reserved white from the base
150g plain flour
1⁄4 tsp fine salt
2 tsp baking powder
175g golden caster sugar
100g desiccated coconut
175g mixed raspberries and blueberries
1. Lightly grease a 23cm square cake tin and line with baking parchment. For the base, put the flour, butter and salt into a food processor and pulse to fine crumbs, then pulse in the coconut and sugar. Beat the egg yolk with the vanilla and 1 tbsp cold water, then add to the machine with the motor running, to make a soft dough. Roughly press into the prepared tin with your hands, dust with a little flour and press with the back of a spoon to push into the corners and flatten. Prick with a fork, then chill for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 ̊C, gas mark 6.
2. Bake the biscuit base for 15 minutes, or until pale golden. Cool for a couple of minutes, then spread with the jam. Lower the oven temperature to 180 ̊C, gas mark 4.
3. For the cake, melt the butter in a pan, then take off the heat and use a fork to beat in the yogurt, then the eggs and reserved egg white. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl; stir in the sugar and coconut.
4. Pour the wet cake ingredients into the dry, and mix well with a spatula. Pour over the jammy base, level the top, then scatter with the berries. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden and risen all over; a skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean. Cool in the tin, then cut into bars.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings