This delicate, creamy pudding relies on the natural sweetness of coconut milk rather than refined sugar. It's delicious on its own, with a fruit compote, or try adding fresh berries to the rice while it cooks. This is dairy-, gluten-, wheat-, soya-, egg- and nut-free.
Coconut and Cardamom Rice Pudding
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 90 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- 75g pudding rice
- 10-12 cardamom pods, very gently bruised with the end of a rolling pin
- Slivers of lemon or lime zest pared from ½ lemon or 1 small lime
- 600ml coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 150°C, gas mark 2.
- Put the rice into a shallow baking dish with the cardamom and citrus zest. Add the coconut milk and mix gently.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, stirring occasionally to ensure the cardamom is well buried and can release as much flavour as possible. After an hour, uncover the dish then cook for 30-45 minutes more, or until the rice is soft. Serve warm or at room temperature.