LOVE life: low in fat
Cod with spinach and green lentil dhal
200g LOVE life green lentils
1½ tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
28g pack coriander, stalks finely chopped, leaves whole
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
20g fresh root ginger, grated
400ml can half-fat coconut milk
½ lemon, zest and juice
2 x 80g bags washed spinach
4 skinless, boneless cod fillets
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp dried curry leaves
1. Rinse the lentils; boil in 800ml water for 20 minutes. Drain; set aside.
2. Heat ½ tbsp oil in a large pan; fry the onion for 5-10 minutes, until soft. Add the coriander stalks, garlic and ginger, cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the lentils, coconut milk, lemon zest and 1 tbsp juice; season. Cook for 5 minutes; stir in the spinach until wilted. Set aside; keep warm.
3. Preheat the grill to high. Put the cod on a foil-lined baking sheet and season. Grill for 8-10 minutes; squeeze over the remaining lemon juice.
4. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a small pan. Add the spices and fry for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant; stir all but a drizzle through the lentils. Serve the cod with the dhal, coriander leaves and any extra spice oil.
Delicately flavoured, yet almost meaty in texture, cod is rich in protein and low in fat. It’s also a good source of vitamin B12, vital for a healthy nervous system.
FYI: Green lentils
The humble lentil should be more celebrated. Not only do 3 heaped tbsp count as one of your five-a-day, they're also full of soluble fibre.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Feb 01 14:51:00 GMT 2015.