low in fat
Cod with spinach and green lentil dhal
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
200g green lentils
1½ tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
28g pack coriander, stalks finely chopped, leaves whole
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
20g fresh root ginger, grated
400ml can half-fat coconut milk
½ lemon, zest and juice
2 x 80g bags washed spinach
4 skinless, boneless cod fillets
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp dried curry leaves
1. Rinse the lentils; boil in 800ml water for 20 minutes. Drain; set aside.
2. Heat ½ tbsp oil in a large pan; fry the onion for 5-10 minutes, until soft. Add the coriander stalks, garlic and ginger, cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the lentils, coconut milk, lemon zest and 1 tbsp juice; season. Cook for 5 minutes; stir in the spinach until wilted. Set aside; keep warm.
3. Preheat the grill to high. Put the cod on a foil-lined baking sheet and season. Grill for 8-10 minutes; squeeze over the remaining lemon juice.
4. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a small pan. Add the spices and fry for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant; stir all but a drizzle through the lentils. Serve the cod with the dhal, coriander leaves and any extra spice oil.