This quick and easy, no-cook starter makes a refreshing foil for other rich festive food. This recipe also works well with prawns or lobster.
Crab salad with citrus mint dressing
2 large oranges, peeled
1 large fennel bulb
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp clear honey
2 tbsp freshly chopped mint
200g fresh white crab meat
4 Little Gem lettuces, outer leaves separated and trimmed
- Remove the orange segments over a bowl, collecting the juice. Reserve 3 tbsp juice for the dressing and place the segments in a separate bowl to the juice.
- Trim the fennel and cut lengthways into quarters. Discard the hard core. Finely slice, then add to the orange segments.
- Whisk the olive oil into the orange juice. Add the honey and mint, then season. Pour half the dressing over the orange and fennel.
- Pat the crab meat dry with kitchen towel. Add the crab to the orange and fennel and toss gently. Arrange 2 lettuce leaves on each plate, spoon the crab salad into the leaves, drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve.
Prepare to the end of step 3 then cover and keep in the fridge for up to 6 hours. Assemble just before serving.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 15 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 27 ratings
This recipe was first published in November 2008.