Light brown muscovado sugar is the secret ingredient here, giving the cookies irresistibly chewy middles and crisp edges.
Crackled ginger oat cookies
225g unsalted butter, softened
200g light brown muscovado sugar
1 large egg yolk
225g self-raising flour
1⁄2 tsp fine salt
1 tbsp ground ginger
125g jumbo oats
85g crystallised stem ginger, cut into 0.5cm size pieces
25g demerara sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment. Cream the butter and muscovado sugarin a bowl using electric beaters, then beat in the egg yolk.
2. Sift in the flour, salt and ground ginger. Using a spatula, work together to make a soft dough. Fold in 100g oats and 2/3 the stem ginger.
3. Mix the remaining oats and stem ginger with the demerara. Shape 1 level tbsp dough into a ball, press into the oat mix, then transfer to the baking sheets, oaty-side up. Repeat; leave room for spreading.
4. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight tin.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes per batch
- Total time: 20 minutes
Makes: about 36 cookies
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 20 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Aug 12 11:18:00 BST 2015.