Light brown muscovado sugar is the secret ingredient here, giving the cookies irresistibly chewy middles and crisp edges.
Crackled ginger oat cookies
- Preparation time: 10 minutes per batch
- Total time: 20 minutes
Makes: about 36 cookies
225g unsalted butter, softened
200g light brown muscovado sugar
1 large egg yolk
225g self-raising flour
1⁄2 tsp fine salt
1 tbsp ground ginger
125g jumbo oats
85g crystallised stem ginger, cut into 0.5cm size pieces
25g demerara sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment. Cream the butter and muscovado sugarin a bowl using electric beaters, then beat in the egg yolk.
2. Sift in the flour, salt and ground ginger. Using a spatula, work together to make a soft dough. Fold in 100g oats and 2/3 the stem ginger.
3. Mix the remaining oats and stem ginger with the demerara. Shape 1 level tbsp dough into a ball, press into the oat mix, then transfer to the baking sheets, oaty-side up. Repeat; leave room for spreading.
4. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight tin.