This spicy preserve fills several small jars, making it perfect for a Christmas gift. It will keep for up to a month. Store in the fridge once the jars are opened.
Cranberry chilli relish with oatcakes recipe | Waitrose
For the relish:
500 g cooking apples
500 g cranberries
400 ml cranberry juice
2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
500g granulated or caster sugar
For the oatcakes:
100g medium oatmeal
½ tsp sea salt
100g plain wholemeal flour, plus a little extra for dusting
65g butter, cut into small pieces
- Roughly chop the apples but don’t peel or core them as the fruits will be strained after cooking. Put the apples, cranberries, juice and chillies in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and reduce the heat. Cook gently for about 20 minutes until soft and pulpy.
- Press the mixture through a sieve, extracting as much pulp as possible. Return to the cleaned pan with the sugar.
- Cook over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved. Cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture is thick and pulpy. Ladle into sterilised jars. Cover and label.
- For the oatcakes, preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Grease a large baking sheet. Put the flour, oatmeal and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mixture starts to come together. Then add about 4-5 tsp water to make a firm dough.
- Roll out thinly on a lightly floured surface. Cut out 6cm rounds using a cookie cutter. Transfer to the baking sheet. Re-roll the trimmings to make extra biscuits. Bake for about 30 minutes until crisp and pale golden. Cool on a wire rack before wrapping.
Can be prepared in advance.
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Total time: 1h 45m
Makes: Makes 1.1kg relish and 15 oatcakes
Typical values per serving:
0.2 salt per oatcake and 1 tbs relish
Average user rating Based on 11 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Nov 01 00:00:00 GMT 2009.