- 200g fresh cranberries
- 100g dried cranberries
- 300g raisins
- 200g sultanas
- 100g currants
- 200g whole, mixed candied peel, finely chopped
- 150g vegetable suet
- 1 medium-sized cooking apple, cored and grated
- 300g soft brown sugar
- 50g flaked almonds
- 2 oranges, zested and juiced
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 tbsp brandy or Grand Marnier
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients, except the brandy or Grand Marnier, and mix thoroughly. Cover and leave in a cool place overnight.
- When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 140°C/gas mark 1. Transfer the mincemeat mixture to an ovenproof dish and stir well. Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours. Cool completely, stirring occasionally, then stir in the brandy or Grand Marnier. Pack in sterilised jars and seal. Store for up to 3 months in a cool place.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus overnight soaking
- Cooking time: 120 minutes
- Total time: 24 hours
Average user rating Based on 9 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Nov 01 00:00:00 GMT 2001.