Save to your scrapbook
Cream of roasted mushroom soup
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
900g mixed brown mushrooms such as chestnut and portabellini
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
1 baking potato, peeled and diced
2 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Porcini Mushrooms
6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped, or
77g pack Cooks’ Ingredients Diced Pancetta (optional)
170ml essential Waitrose Single Cream
25g pack flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Crusty bread to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190ªC, gas mark 5. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms, halve the caps and place on a large baking sheet along with the stalks. Add the thyme, drizzle with oil and bake for 20 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further 10 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
2. Meanwhile, place the stock, potato and dried porcini in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the potato is very soft.
3. If using the bacon, cook gently in a small non-stick frying pan for 7–8 minutes until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
4. Tip the roasted mushrooms and any juices into the saucepan (discard the thyme) then using a handheld blender, whizz until smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream and chopped parsley.
5. Ladle into 4 soup bowls and top with crispy bacon (if using) and a good grinding of black pepper. Serve with the crusty bread.
For a more delicate flavour, leave out the dried porcini mushrooms.
Typical values per serving:
Champteloup Sauvignon Blanc
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 29 11:51:00 GMT 2015.