Creamy rice and broccoli torte
1. For the pastry, place the flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a large bowl and rub together with your fingertips until you have a texture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Carefully stir the egg and milk into the mixture using a round-bladed knife and keep stirring until it comes together to form a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge to chill while you prepare the filling.
2. Bring a medium pan of water to the boil and cook the broccoli for just 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently cook the onion for about 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the chilli flakes, if using, and cook for a minute more. Tip into a large bowl and add the broccoli, rice and Taleggio. Toss together well.
4. Beat the large eggs in a bowl with the mustard and season generously. Add to the broccoli mixture and combine well.
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat. Cut the pastry in half and roll one piece out on a lightly floured work surface until you have a sheet measuring 32 x 20cm. Place in a tin about 30 x 15cm and prick well all over the base.
6. Roll out the remaining piece of pastry to the same size. Spoon the broccoli mixture into the pastry base. Beat the medium egg and use a little to brush the edges of the pastry, then lay the other sheet of pastry over the top and press down gently to seal. Brush all over the top with more beaten egg. Place the tin on the preheated baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180°C, gas mark 4 and continue to bake for a further 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden and cooked through. Leave to cool for 10 minutes then remove from the tin. Serve warm or cold, cut into portions.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
Typical values per serving:
2.8g fibre 15.9g protein
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Mar 14 10:06:00 GMT 2014.