January is the best time to buy citrus fruit. Use juicy, fresh lemons in this rice pudding that is made on the hob and cooks in just 35 minutes.
Creamy Rice Pudding with Lemon and Almonds
- 100g Waitrose Italian Short Grain Pudding Rice, rinsed
- 50g caster sugar
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 100g sultanas
- 410g can Nestlé Carnation Creamy Evaporated Milk
- 25g flaked almonds or toasted flaked almonds
- Place the rice, sugar, lemon zest and juice, sultanas and 450ml cold water in a medium saucepan. Slowly bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the evaporated milk and simmer for a further 5 minutes, continuing to stir occasionally. Preheat the grill to hot. Pour the rice pudding into a warmed heat-resistant 1-litre serving dish and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Place the pudding under the hot grill until the almonds are toasted, being careful not to let them burn. Alternatively, simply sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds and don't grill. Serve immediately.
If making this pudding in advance, increase the water to 600ml in Step 1. Reheat on the hob, then add the almonds, as in Step 3. Alternatively, reheat the pudding in the microwave on medium power using the manufacturer's guidelines, before adding the flaked almonds.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 3 ratings
This recipe was first published in January 2005.