Children will enjoy making these crumbly cookies filled with their favourite jam. They’re just right for popping into lunch boxes and picnic bags.
Crumbly Cookies with Jammy Fillings
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes to 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes to 35 minutes
- 225g soft butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 275g plain flour, sifted
- ½ tsp baking powder, sifted
- 8 tbsp jam (use a selection such as raspberry and apricot)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment. Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat using an electric whisk or a wooden spoon until pale and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and continue beating until well combined. Using a metal spoon, fold in the flour and baking powder until the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Take a small piece of the dough and roll in your hands to make a ball. Place on the baking tray then repeat to make more balls, leaving a gap between each one (as the mixture will spread during baking). Repeat until all the mixture has been used.
- Make an imprint into each ball using your finger, deep enough to hold a little jam. Carefully fill each cookie with about ½ teaspoon of jam, making sure you don’t overfill.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden brown. Carefully transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before eating. Perfect with a glass of orange squash.