The mildly aniseed flavour of fennel is perfect for adding an extra burst of flavour to green vegetables. The broad beans look really pretty popped out of their grey skins, but can be used whole if you don't have time.
Crunchy Beans In Fennel Dressing
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 1 tbsp juice
- 200g frozen baby broad beans
- 400g green beans, trimmed
- Crush the fennel seeds using a pestle and mortar. Tip into a small frying pan and toast lightly for 1 minute. Turn into a bowl then add the oil, lemon zest and juice.
- Cook the broad beans in a pan of boiling water for 4-5 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Squeeze the beans out of their skins.
- Snap the green beans in half and cook in boiling water for 3-4 minutes until softened but still retaining a little bite.
- Drain the green beans, return to the pan and add the broad beans, the dressing and a little seasoning. Gently heat through for about 1 minute.