Deep-fried eggs with Asian salad
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes + standing
- Total time: 25 minutes + standing
250g quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 salad onions, thinly sliced
28g pack fresh coriander, coarsely chopped
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
Vegetable oil, for frying
235g pack Waitrose Green Pak Choi, trimmed and leaves separated
8 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
4 tbsp oyster sauce, plus extra to serve
1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
1. Place the quinoa and 625ml water into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes until the water has been absorbed then turn off the heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and stir through the white part of the salad onions, half the coriander and 1 tsp of the sesame oil. Season to taste then cover with the lid again to keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tsp of the vegetable oil and the remaining sesame oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium–high heat. Cook the pak choi for 2 minutes until wilted. Season to taste, transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
3. Pour enough vegetable oil into the frying pan to come 2cm up the sides. Take 2 bowls and crack 2 eggs into each one. Line a heatproof colander with kitchen paper and set it inside a large, heatproof bowl to drain the oil after cooking. Once the oil is smoking, pour in 1 bowl of eggs, taking care as they will bubble immediately. After 10 seconds, pour in the second bowl of eggs. After 1 minute, the whites should be cooked through and the yolks runny. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove each batch of eggs to the lined colander. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
4. Divide the quinoa between 4 bowls, top with the pak choi, followed by the eggs. Drizzle with oyster sauce and sprinkle over the chilli, remaining salad onion and coriander. Serve with extra oyster sauce on the side.