This is a fantastic idea for an alternative Sunday roast, or if you have friends coming round it would make a great dinner party dish.
Dhruv Baker’s Slow cooked, spiced shoulder of pork with salsa verde
For the pork:
2kg piece of bone in pork shoulder (or a boneless 1.2kg joint)
2 tsp fennel seeds
2 onions, peeled and quartered
4 bay leaves
6 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
1 bulb of garlic, cut in half lengthways
½ tsp Bart Sweet Smoked Paprika
5-6 sprigs thyme
1 dried chipotle chilli or ancho (optional)
500ml chicken stock
For the salsa verde:
2 cloves garlic
3 tsp capers, rinsed and finely chopped
3 tsp cornichons, finely chopped
4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
1 bunch flat leaf parsley finely chopped
1⁄2 bunch fresh basil finely chopped
1⁄2 bunch tarragon finely chopped
2 tsp smooth Dijon mustard
Splash red wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 240°C, gas mark 8. If the skin is not already scored, make shallow cuts in the skin all over the joint and rub with the salt and fennel seeds. Place the joint in a roasting tin skin side up and put in the oven.
2. After 20 minutes cover with foil, reduce the temperature to 160°C/gas mark 3 and roast for a further 5 hours (or about 3 hours for 1.2kg boneless joint).
3. Take the pork out of the oven, remove the foil and carefully add the remaining ingredients (except the stock) to the roasting tin. Return to the oven and roast uncovered for a further hour. Lift out the pork and set aside somewhere warm to rest.
4. Place the roasting tin on a medium heat on the hob, add the stock, deglaze the tin and simmer until reduced by half.
5. To make the salsa verde, mix the garlic, capers, cornichons, anchovies, parsley, basil and tarragon together then add the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice to form a paste.
6. Strain the reduced stock into a saucepan and reduce again by a quarter or so, season and serve with the pork.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 6½ hours (or 4½ hours for a boneless 1.2kg joint)
- Total time: 6 hours 45 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6
Average user rating Based on 12 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Jun 25 15:06:00 BST 2014.