These corn cakes are also really good for brunch – serve them with sliced or mashed avocados and griddled salad onions, or with bacon if you’re not having a vegetarian breakfast. I like them with griddled chicken thighs too
Diana Henry's corn cakes with chilli-roast tomatoes & soured cream
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes to 40 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes to 55 minutes
FOR THE TOMATOES
8 large plum tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
¾ tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp smoked chilli paste (such as the Gran Luchito brand)
1 tsp caster sugar
FOR THE CORN CAKES
50g fine polenta
50g plain flour
250g sweetcorn, fresh or frozen
3 Waitrose British Blacktail Large Free Range Eggs
3 salad onions, chopped
25g butter, melted and cooled a little
Groundnut oil and unsalted butter, for cooking
Soured cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Cut the tomatoes in half and lay them in a single layer, cut-side up in a roasting tin or ovenproof dish. Mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and smoked chilli paste and pour over the tomatoes to coat well. Sprinkle with the sugar and season. Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until caramelised and slightly shrunken (keep an eye on them so they don’t burn).
2. The batter can be made in advance. Put all the ingredients (except the oil and butter for frying) into a food processor and, using the pulse button, blitz everything for a chunky batter. You want to have some whole pieces of corn in the mixture. Season.
3. Heat some oil in a frying pan and add a little butter. Add a couple of tablespoons of batter to the pan to make a 4cm-wide cake. You can cook 6 cakes at a time if your pan is big enough. When each cake has set underneath, flip it and cook the other side until golden. Lower the heat to cook the cakes through. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with kitchen paper and keep the cakes warm in a low oven (in a single layer) while you cook the rest. Add more oil and butter as you need it.
4. Serve with the tomatoes and spoonfuls of soured cream and great with the salmon fillets with coriander and chilli relish recipe.