1. Place the egg white in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form.
2. Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until each addition is dissolved before adding more. Be patient when gradually adding the sugar to the egg white. Each tablespoon of sugar should be dissolved before the next is added.
3. Once all the sugar has been added, scrape down the sides of the bowl and whisk for a further 10-15 minutes or until the mixture is thick and glossy. Take care not to overwhisk the meringue mixture – it’s ready when it’s thick, glossy, smooth and there are no more sugar granules. You can check this by rubbing a little mixture between your thumb and forefinger.
4. Place the cornflour and vinegar in a small bowl and mix until smooth.
5. Add the cornflour mixture to the egg white mixture and whisk for 30 seconds or until well combined. See the recipes that follow for how to bake this meringue mixture.
Lemon meringue pie
The perfect pavlova