12 quail’s eggs
430g pack 2 Cooks’ Ingredients All Butter Shortcrust Pastry Sheets, defrosted
450g Waitrose Pork Sausagemeat Stuffing With Apricots And Almonds
350g Waitrose Chicken Mini Fillets
3 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
1 Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg, beaten, to glaze
Easy chicken pie with quail’s eggs & tarragon
12 quail’s eggs
1. Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 200°C, gas mark 6. Put the quail’s eggs in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 3 minutes. Drain, run under cold water to cool, then peel.
2. Use 1 pastry sheet to line a 27cm x 17cm baking tin. Flatten the sausagemeat with a rolling pin to the same size as the pastry and cover the pastry base with it. Arrange the quail’s eggs on top. Cut the chicken fillets in half, and toss with seasoning and the chopped tarragon. Arrange over the eggs. Brush the pastry edges with water. Use the other pastry sheet to cover the top, tucking the ends in to contain the filling. Pinch the edges together to seal.
3. Brush the pie with beaten egg and make steam holes in the top with a knife. Place the pie on the preheated baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 180°C, gas mark 4 for 30-40 minutes more until the filling is cooked through with no pink meat. Leave to cool then chill until you’re ready. Cut into wedges and serve with chutney and a tomato salad.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes to 60 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings