Light in texture, but heavy on flavour, the multiple layers of lemon curd ensure that this cake is extra-moist and citrussy. It’s perfect as an afternoon treat, or top with candles to make a gorgeous birthday cake.
Easy lemon curd layer cake
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
225g Stork With Butter
225g golden caster sugar
4 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
1 lemon, juice and grated zest
200g soft cheese, such as essential Waitrose Creamy Soft Cheese
2 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 tbsp milk
100g lemon curd
1. Grease and line the bases of 2 x 20cm cake tins. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4.
2. Place the flour, baking powder, Stork, sugar, eggs and lemon juice and zest in a large bowl, and whisk for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
3. Divide the mixture equally between the tins, and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and just firm. Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes, then turn out and allow to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl beat together the soft cheese, icing sugar and milk until soft enough to spread. Gently ripple this mixture through the lemon curd.
5. Using a breadknife, cut the cake in half horizontally to give 4 layers. Use the lemon curd mixture to sandwich the cakes together into a tall stack. Dust lightly with icing sugar to serve.
- Preparation time: 20
- Cooking time: 20-25
- Total time: 45 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 43 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Jun 10 15:09:00 BST 2015.