This lightly spiced Creole-style rice dish is cooked in one pan and is ready in just 30 minutes, making it a perfect midweek meal for the whole family.
Easy Jambalaya with Chipolatas and Chorizo
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ x 110g pack Revilla Chorizo de Pueblo, skin removed and sliced
- 340g pack Waitrose 12 Organic Free Range Pork Chipolatas
- 225g Waitrose Easy Cook Long Grain Rice
- 400g can Waitrose Chopped Tomatoes with Chopped Herbs
- 450ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 red and 1 green pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 1 bunch salad onions, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the chorizo for 2-3 minutes, until the paprika oil is released. Add the chipolatas and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned on all sides. Tip in the rice and stir until coated in the oil.
- Add the tomatoes and stock then cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peppers and salad onions, reserving some chopped onion. Cover and cook for a further 10 minutes until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve garnished with the reserved onion.
For a spicier, more adult, taste add 1 teaspoon of hot chilli powder or a dash of Tabasco. Substitute cubed skinless chicken breast for the sausages, if you prefer. Recipe will serve four adults, adjusting nutrition accordingly.
Our children’s recipe cards provide 50 per cent or less of the Guideline Daily Amount (GDA) of calories, fat, saturated fat, salt and sugar for children aged 5-10 years.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
Serves: Serves 6 children
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 247 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Feb 01 00:00:00 GMT 2008.