Shape pumpkin faces on these meaty pies by using the tip of a knife to cut out triangles for eyes and noses, and the crooked mouth.
Frightfully good pies
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Makes: 6 - 8
340g pack Waitrose 12 Cumberland Pork Chipolatas
1 small onion, chopped
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground paprika, plus extra to sprinkle
500g pack puff pastry
Plain flour, for dusting
1 medium Waitrose Columbian Blacktail Free Range Egg, beaten, to glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Grease a large baking sheet. Remove the skins from the sausages and put the pork meat in a bowl. Add the onion, oregano, paprika and a little seasoning, then mix together.
2. Roll out the pastry thinly on a lightly floured surface and cut out 12-16x9cm rounds using a pastry cutter (or pumpkin-shaped cutter), if necessary re-rolling the trimmings until you have enough. Using the tip of a small knife, cut out the facial features on half of the pastry rounds. Brush the remaining rounds with egg.
3. Divide the pork mixture into 6-8 even-sized pieces and flatten each into a pattie 7cm in diameter. Place one on each of the egg-brushed pastry rounds. Cover with the cut-out rounds and press down firmly around the edges to seal.
4. Transfer to the baking sheet and brush the tops with beaten egg. Sprinkle with a little extra paprika and bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and deep golden. Serve warm or cold.