This dairy- and egg-free cake topped with a lemon frosting is great for those with specific dietary requirements. Makes a perfect afternoon treat with a cup of tea.
Frosted lemon cake
75ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
175g caster sugar
250ml Alpro Soya Original
Juice and grated zest 1 lemon
50g Pure Dairy Free Sunflower spread
50g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Grease a 12.5cm x 23cm (900g) loaf tin with a little oil and line the base with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
3. Whisk the oil, Alpro Soya, lemon juice and half the lemon zest together, then fold the mixture into the dry ingredients to make a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the paper and leave to cool completely.
4. To make the frosting, beat the spread and icing sugar together
until smooth. Reserve a pinch of lemon zest, then fold the remainder into the frosting and spread over the top of the cake. Finish with a sprinkling of lemon zest on top and serve.
If you like you can substitute the lemon with orange or lime to vary the flavour of the cake.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Typical values per serving:
per serving for 10
Average user rating Based on 13 ratings
This recipe was first published in September 2015.