This recipe for gingerbread can be used to make a whole range of decorations, gifts and, of course, gingerbread people. Get the children to help roll and cut out the dough, and to decorate the biscuits.
Christmas Gingerbread Recipe
- 125g unsalted butter
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 325g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- Supercook Writing Icing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Line baking trays with baking parchment. Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl and stir the melted ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a thickness of about 5mm. Dip biscuit cutters into flour before cutting the dough, or cut around templates, which you can find at waitrose.com/christmas. Place the shapes onto the lined baking trays and bake, in batches, for 9-10 minutes until light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. While still warm, and using a skewer or chopstick, make any holes that you will need to hang up the biscuits with ribbon or to make a yuletide garland. If you are decorating your Christmas cake with gingerbread people, make the holes in their arms so that ribbon can be threaded through at a later stage.
- When completely cool, decorate with the icing. The gingerbread biscuits can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
Makes: 25 gingerbread people
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 2327 ratings
This recipe was first published in November 2006.