4 thick slices peeled fresh root ginger
½ lemon, juice
1kg granulated sugar
Gingery gooseberry jam
1. Put a saucer in the freezer. Put the gooseberries, ginger, lemon juice and 150ml water in a very large, heavy-based pan. Stir, then cook gently for 20 minutes, until the berries are soft.
2. Stir in the sugar until dissolved. Bring to a boil and cook rapidly for 10 minutes, then test for setting point: spoon a little jam onto the chilled saucer, leave to cool, then push it with your finger. If it wrinkles, it’s ready. If not, boil for 5 minutes more and repeat. Carefully discard the ginger, then ladle the jam into warm, sterilised jars and seal. This jam will keep in a cool, dark place for 6 months. SF
This recipe first appeared in the Harvest section of Waitrose Food, July 2016 issue. Download the Waitose Food app for the full issue
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
- Total time: 40-45 minutes
Makes: 4 x 450g jars
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 3 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Jul 01 16:23:29 BST 2016.