You can use any firm white fish in this easy-to-make recipe.
Glazed haddock with sweetcorn and coriander fritters
½ tbsp dark brown soft sugar
2 tbsp sherry vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
40g fresh root ginger, finely grated
4 haddock fillets (about 200g each), pin-boned and skinned
175g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
326g can essential Waitrose sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
4 essential Waitrose salad onions, trimmed and finely sliced
28g pack coriander, leaves roughly chopped and stalks finely chopped
2 tbsp essential Waitrose vegetable oil
1. Mix the brown sugar, vinegar, soy and ginger in a bowl.
Add the fish, coating thoroughly; chill for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. To make the fritters, mix the flour, baking powder, sweetcorn and all but a small handful of both the salad onions and coriander. Stir in 150-200ml cold water until you have a spoonable batter; season.
3. Put the fish on a foil-lined tray with the excess marinade
and roast until cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add heaped spoonfuls of the batter, flatten and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden (you may need to cook in batches). Serve the fish and fritters, spooning over any sauce; garnish with salad onions and coriander.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus marinating
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes, plus marinating
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Oct 01 17:26:00 BST 2014.