250g pack halloumi cheese, cut into 1cm slices
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
400g bunch asparagus, trimmed
1 red chilli, finely sliced into rounds
handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
Griddled asparagus with halloumi and caramelised lemon
1. Halve the lemon lengthways, set ½ aside and finely slice the rest into half-moons. Toss the halloumi and lemon slices with ½ tbsp oil; set aside.
2. Put a griddle or frying pan over a high heat. Toss the asparagus with ½ tbsp oil, season and spread out in a single layer. Cook for 5-6 minutes in total, turning occasionally, until charred and just tender. Transfer the asparagus to a serving platter and keep warm.
3. Griddle the halloumi and lemon slices, in batches if needed, for 1-2 minutes on each side, until charred. (Keep an eye on the lemon slices, as they can burn easily.) Add the charred cheese and lemon to the asparagus platter and scatter over the chilli and mint. Squeeze over the reserved lemon ½, drizzle with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and season. Serve immediately.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Food, May 2017 issue. Download the Waitose Food app for the full issue
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon May 01 15:49:50 BST 2017.