Cuban-style mango mojo is similar to fresh mango chutney or salsa. Its sweet spiciness would make a good match for any grilled meat or curry.
Grilled Gammon with Paprika Spice Rub and Mango Mojo
- Preparation time: 15 minutes to 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes to 12 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes to 32 minutes
- 2 large ripe mangoes
- Juice of 2 limes
- ½ fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 pack fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dark brown soft sugar, plus a pinch for the mojo
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 x Waitrose Smoked British Gammon Steaks, about 175g each
- For the mojo, peel and remove the flesh from the mangoes. Dice a quarter of the mango flesh and set aside. In a blender, purée the remaining mango with the lime juice, then stir in the chilli (if using), coriander and diced mango. Add a pinch of sugar to taste.
- Preheat the grill to high. Mix the sugar, spices and olive oil to a smooth paste. Spread the spice rub on both sides of the gammon steaks, then grill for 5-6 minutes on each side, basting once or twice with the cooking juices. Pierce the steaks with a skewer: the meat is cooked when the juices run clear. Serve immediately with the mojo.