Delicately spiced with fresh root ginger, this sophisticated, glittery jam is sure to be a winning gift
Pear and ginger preserve
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour, plus cooling
Makes: about 1.6 litres (3 x 560ml jars)
2kg conference pears, just under-ripe
200ml white wine
1kg jam sugar
35g fresh root ginger, peeled and finely diced
2 lemons, juice
generous pinch Waitrose Cooks’ Homebaking gold stardust (optional)
1. Peel, core and dice the pears into 1.5cm chunks, then put in a preserving pan with the wine. Cover with crumpled baking parchment, bring to the boil, then bubble, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, or until just tender and the wine has almost evaporated.
2. Add the sugar, ginger and lemon juice, then gently heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat until you reach a fast boil; rapidly boil for 20-25 minutes, until the setting point has been reached (see below). Stir the jam occasionally with a long wooden spoon to prevent it from catching.
3. Remove the jam from the heat, stir in the stardust, if using, and set aside to cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to distribute the fruit. Very carefully divide between hot, sterilised jars using a jug or wide-neck funnel. Seal the lids, label and leave to cool completely. Tie on a jam spoon to make a pretty present and store in a cool place for up to 3 months.