‘Chunky ham hock and smoked ham batons mixed with zingy piccalilli – a pork-and-pickled combo to really get your teeth into.’ Heston
Heston's ham hock terrine
1 pack Heston from Waitrose 18 Mini Ham Hock & Piccalilli Terrine Slices
For the Piccalilli Mayonnaise:
100g white wine vinegar
50g white caster sugar
2 tsp creamed horseradish
½ sprigs thyme
½ bay leaf
½ tsp turmeric
35g Dijon mustard
About 250–275g mayonnaise
½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Melba toast, to serve
Babyleaves, pea shoots, lambs lettuce or salad cress, to finish
1. For the piccalilli mayonnaise: Bring the vinegar, sugar and horseradish to a simmer, remove from the heat and add the thyme and bay leaf. Allow to cool then chill completely. Discard the herbs.
2. Mix the cornflour, turmeric and Dijon together to form a paste then stir in half of the cooled vinegar mix. Bring the remaining vinegar to a simmer and stir in the paste. Cook gently until slightly thickened. Pass through a fine sieve and allow the mixture to cool completely. Weight the mixture out and then weigh out double this weight in mayonnaise. Add the chilli, cover and place in the fridge until needed.
3. To serve, place a small slice of the terrine on a piece of Melba toast. Drizzle some of the piccalilli mayonnaise on top and finish with a few small leaves.
- Preparation time: 5 minute, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 10 minutes, plus cooling
Average user rating Based on 6 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Nov 13 11:11:00 GMT 2013.