An easy, fresh supper, bursting with flavour – just right for long, balmy evenings
Hemsley + Hemsley’s warm summer salad with halloumi
1 tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil
2 red onions, thinly sliced
4 medium carrots (400g)
500g fresh broad beans, podded (or 200g frozen)
200g fresh or frozen peas
2 gem lettuce, trimmed, leaves separated and chopped into chunks
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1⁄2 lemon, zest and juice
small bunch flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
250g pack halloumi, cut into cubes
1. Heat the butter or coconut oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add the onion and gently fry, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until soft and lightly caramelised.
2. Meanwhile, spiralise the carrots, snipping any long veg with most of the parsley. Transfer to a large serving plate. strands into shorter lengths, or peel into strips with a julienne or vegetable peeler; set aside. Blanch the broad beans in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes, then cool in cold water. (If using frozen broad beans, defrost in a bowl of warm water.) Slip the beans from their outer skins.
3. Turn up the heat under the onions and stir in the broad beans and peas, with a small pinch of salt, for 2 minutes. Add the carrot and lettuce, stirring gently for another minute, then take off the heat. Whisk the oil with the lemon zest and juice, season, then toss through the veg with most of the parsley. Transfer to a large serving plate.
4. Wipe the pan out, then dry-fry the halloumi over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Scatter over the salad with the remaining parsley, and a little more lemon juice and oil, if liked.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings