This delicious salad is quick and easy to prepare. It makes a perfect accompaniment to meat, fish or vegetarian dishes.
Herb salad with mustard seed and lemon dressing
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp black mustard seeds
3tbsp lemon juice
2tsp Dijon mustard
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 x 100g packs watercress
20g pack fresh dill
25g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Warm 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant and starting to pop. Remove from the heat and leave to cool in the pan.
- Spoon the seeds and oil into a large salad bowl and add the remaining oil, lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Season and whisk to combine, then mix in the onion.
- Remove the thick stalks from the watercress and herbs (keep them for another recipe, such as soup or stock) and add the leaves to the salad bowl.
- Toss well and serve immediately. Alternatively, make the dressing and prepare the leaves in advance and keep separately in the fridge. Assemble just before serving.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 3-4 minutes
Serves: 8 as a side
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 5 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Mar 12 16:42:44 GMT 2015.