- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 kg turkey, breast joint
- 15 g melted butter
- 300 g quinoa
- 200 g dried cherries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20 g parsley, roughly chopped
Herby Turkey with Cherry Quinoa
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 35 minutes plus resting
Serves: Serves 8 and makes leftovers
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Place the garlic, rosemary and salt in a mortar and pestle and pound until it forms a paste.
- Place the turkey, skin-side down, on a board or clean surface. Make a vertical cut partway into the centre of the breast and open out like a book. Use a rolling pin to bash the meat out slightly. Spread the herb paste evenly over the surface; firmly roll the turkey up to form a cylinder.
- Use kitchen string to tie it at 2cm intervals. Put it in a large roasting tray; brush the entire surface with melted butter and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 1 hour. Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa well and place in a large saucepan with 700ml cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until all the water has evaporated – 12–15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; add the dried cherries, olive oil and seasoning to taste.
- Once the turkey has had an hour in the oven, take it out and place the quinoa in the base of the tray around it. Return to the oven and roast for a further 20 minutes, or until the turkey is golden brown and the juices run clear. Cover the turkey loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Transfer the quinoa to a serving bowl and garnish with the parsley leaves.