‘Slow-simmered, gutsy tomato sauce and a deftly reduced mixture of onion, garlic, jalapeños and beef jus are the keys to these kebabs.’ Heston Blumenthal
Heston's beef kebab with a spicy tomato sauce
For the spicy tomato sauce:
30g olive oil
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
400g vine tomato, cut into 8 wedges
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and white pepper
For the beef:
20g grapeseed oil
30g onion, finely chopped
¾ tsp garlic, finely chopped
¾ tbsp fresh jalapeños, chopped
½ tsp red chilli pepper, finely chopped
25g ground almonds
200g pack Heston from Waitrose
Finishing Jus For Beef
8g parsley, chopped
400g essential Waitrose British Beef Mince
Juice of ½ lime
Pinch of ground cinnamon, to season
Salt and black pepper, to season
Flaked almonds, toasted
1. Start with the sauce: heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and add the peppers. Sweat them with the red chilli, onion, tomato and garlic, cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until soften. Remove from the heat.
2. Add the tahini and, using a hand blender, blitz until smooth. Add the paprika and season with salt and freshly ground white pepper then set aside to serve with the kebabs.
3. For the kebabs: heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and sweat them with the garlic, jalapeños, chilli and ground almonds for about 8-10 minutes. Pour in the finishing jus and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain this mixture reserving any liquid/jus. (This remaining jus will be used to glaze your kebabs after they are cooked.)
4. Mix all the remaining ingredients for the kebabs in a bowl, add the cooked onion mixture from step 3, season with the ground cinnamon, salt and freshly ground black pepper, then mix well.
5. Divide into 8 portions and shape into a log around 8 pre-soaked wooden skewers.
6. Place the kebabs on a hot barbecue, rotating them every couple of minutes until cooked through, approximately 10-15 minutes. When the beef is thoroughly cooked through, and
there is no pink meat, remove from the barbecue and brush with the reserved beef jus. Finish with some toasted flaked almonds and freshly chopped coriander.
7. Serve these kebabs with the spicy tomato sauce and the pickled vegetables in a warm pitta.
Typical values per serving:
0.8g fibre, 1.2g protein
Average user rating Based on 12 ratings