Easy and effective, brining gives incredible succulence and taste.
Heston's brined & roasted turkey crown recipe | Waitrose
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus brining
- Cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes, plus resting
- Total time: 2 hours 45 minutes, plus brining and resting
Serves: 6-8 with leftovers
1 Heston from Waitrose turkey crown with brining kit
1⁄2 x 20g pack thyme
1. Remove the turkey crown from the vacuum bag and place in the brining bag. Pour the sachet of turkey brine into the bag with 2.5 litres cold water. Tie the bag with the tie provided and leave in the fridge for 24 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C, gas mark 4. Roll the lemon on a flat surface to release the juices then, using a sharp knife, poke holes in its surface. Place in the foil tray with the thyme. Remove the turkey from the brine, pat dry with kitchen paper and place on top of the lemon and thyme. Rub the herb butter under the turkey's skin; loosely cover with foil.
3. Put the tray on a baking tray in the centre of the oven for 2 hours 30 minutes. Remove the foil for the final 20 minutes of cooking. Check the turkey is cooked by piercing the thickest part of the meat with a skewer. It is cooked when the juices run clear. Once cooked, remove the crown from the tray; allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
4. Meanwhile, for the jus, empty the contents of the poultry jus sachet into a saucepan and heat over a medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until piping hot. Serve with the carved turkey.