In the 1700s, gin was vilified as “mother’s ruin”, but this lively gin-and- Champagne cocktail will be a hit with everyone, mother included.’ Heston
Heston's champagne punch
500g caster sugar
Zest of 2 grapefruits (cut with a peeler)
750ml Heston from Waitrose Earl Grey & Lemon Gin
500ml The King’s Ginger Liqueur
80g cherry brandy
Twists of grapefruit zest, to garnish
Chilled Champagne, about 4 x 75cl bottles
1. Place the sugar in a pan with 500ml water and the grapefruit zest. Bring to a simmer, until the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. Remove the zest and discard.
2. Using a punch bowl, mix the cooled syrup with the gin, ginger liqueur and cherry brandy, stirring to combine.
3. To serve, place a grapefruit zest twist in the bottom of a chilled flute glass, fill a third with the syrup mixture and the rest with chilled Champagne.
This recipe will make 40 servings. To serve in smaller quantities, make the syrup, store in a bottle and chill, then use as needed.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes, plus chilling
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 10 minutes, plus chilling
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Nov 13 11:20:29 GMT 2013.