What could be more romantic than an Italian dish on Valentine’s Day? In Italy, lasagne often includes all sorts of ingredients other than ground beef. So surprise a loved one with this beautifully light and flavoursome version made with crab and cod. Heston
Heston's crab and cod lasagne
For the tomato Sauce
650g fresh vine tomatoes, de-seeded and chopped (reserving the juices)
1 bouquet garni
690g bottle Cooks Ingredients Soffritto passata sauce
2 drops Tabasco
6g Worcestershire Sauce Salt and black pepper
For the crab filling
500g Cooks’ Ingredients Vegetable Stock
115g cod fillet
200g cooked white crab meat, checked for bits of shell
For the White sauce
130g shallots, peeled and finely sliced
½ clove garlic
¼ tsp fennel seeds
1 bay leaf
100g white wine
Reserved cooking liquid from above
50g whipping cream
50g whole milk
Salt and pepper
Grated nutmeg to taste
6 sheets fresh pasta lasagne
30g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
3 basil leaves
2 tarragon leaves
1. Start by making the tomato sauce. In a large pan on a medium heat, cook the fresh tomato and juices with the bouquet garni for 10-15 minutes until soft and broken down, add the passata and cook for a further 20 minutes until the mixture has thickened and reduced by half, approximately, remove the bouquet garni. Using a hand blender, blitz the mixture until smooth, add the Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce, then season.
2. For the crab filling, place the vegetable stock in a saucepan over a medium heat and allow to come to 50°C. Place the fish in the warmed stock and allow to stand for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the fish from the liquid using a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper, reserve this liquid for later use in the sauce. When cooled, flake the fish with a fork and mix with the cooked white crab meat. Place in a covered bowl in the fridge.
3. For the white sauce, heat a thin layer of oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and sweat the shallots, garlic, fennel seeds and bay leaf for 10 minutes. Add the wine, increase the heat to high and allow the liquid to reduce in volume by two thirds. Add the reserved cooking stock from the fish and reduce by half, strain through a fine sieve discarding the shallots, garlic and aromatics. Return the liquid to the pan and add the whipping cream and milk. Place over a medium heat and when the liquid is warm, add the cornflour blended with a little cold water and whisk over the heat until the sauce thickens, approximately 5 minutes. Season with salt, freshly ground white pepper and nutmeg to taste.
4. Assemble the lasagne, preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Pour a thin layer of tomato sauce into the base of a square oven proof baking dish, approximately 24cm, followed by a layer of lasagne sheets followed by a thin layer of the tomato sauce, white sauce and half the crab and cod mixture. Sprinkle over some of the freshly chopped herbs and cheese. Place another layer of lasagne sheets on top and repeat the same layers starting with the tomato sauce. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, finishing up with a layer of white sauce and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
5. Place the lasagne in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the edges begin to bubble, just before serving, sprinkle any leftover herbs on top, if you like.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Average user rating Based on 14 ratings
This recipe was first published in January 2014.