Save to your scrapbook
Heston's duck liver parfait with apricot chutney
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
175g pack Heston from Waitrose Duck Liver Parfait
Crusty bread, (or Melba toast) to serve
Fresh chives, thinly sliced, to serve
175g dried apricots
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
150g orange juice
45g cider vinegar
¼ tsp chilli powder
35g golden caster sugar
Pinch of salt
1. Cover the dried apricots with boiling water in a bowl and let them soak for 3–4 hours or until completely soft. Drain them and chop roughly.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a low heat and cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the apricots, grated ginger, orange juice, cider vinegar and chilli powder and cook for 10–15 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Stir in the sugar and cook for another 2 minutes, then add the salt.
4. Pour into a sterilized jar and store in the fridge, allowing the flavours to develop for at least 24 hoursbefore serving.
5. Serve on a slice of slightly charred crusty bread with a little of the chutney. Top with thinly sliced chives, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
This recipe was first published in December 2013.